[realtek] Changing RX_BUF_LEN_IDX to 3 in 8139too stops driver from working...

Carlo E. Prelz fluido@fluido.as
Sun, 2 Sep 2001 18:59:18 +0200

Hello all. I already wrote to the list in the past to look for some
help im identifying the reason why a single-board computer with a
RTL-8139C chip had lower-than-expected performance. My conclusion has
been that the responsible is the CPU (a 233MHz NatSemi Geode) that is
not sufficient for the task. But today I came back to the problem, and
I tried to increase the receive buffer to see if this changed
something.

Well, I changed RX_BUF_LEN_IDX from 2 to 3 (should bump the in-memory
receive ring from 32k to 64k) and with this change the new kernel was
not able to talk to the network anymore (could not find the
nfs-mounted root partition).

Does anybody know why? And, what is the correct way to increase the
receive buffer?

Thanks!

Carlo (now running 2.4.9)

* K * Carlo E. Prelz - fluido@fluido.as             che bisogno ci sarebbe