[realtek] pcmcia realtek8139

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 09:44:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Arquimedes Canedo wrote:

> I have a problem with my laptop.
> My laptop is a compaq 1202LA, i bought a PC CARD NIC, it has a
> realtek8139 chip.
> In windows works perfectly.
>
> I use slackware/kernel 2.4.5, the problem is that i can't load the
> 8139too driver.

As you guessed, this is a kernel PCMCIA controller issue.

> Linux PCMCIA Card Services 3.1.26
>   options : [pci] [cardbus]
> Intel PCIC probe: <6>PCI:Found IRQ 11 for device 00:0b.0
> PCI: The same IRQ used for device 00:07.2

This messge is informative, not a error.

>    TI 1410 rev 01 PCI-to-Cardbus at slot 00:0b, mem 0x10000000
>         host opts[0]: [ring][pci+serial irq] [pci irq 11] [lat 32/176]
> [bus
> 2/5]
>         PCI card interrupts, PCI status changes
..
> i've compiled the rtl8139-diag tool and dumps this :
> Index #1: Found a RealTek RTL8139 adapter at 0.
> This chip has not been assigned a valid IRQ, and will not function.
> This must be fixed in the PCI BIOS setup. The device driver has no way
> of changing the PCI IRQ settings.

For a CardBus card, the PCMCIA subsystem should assign the IRQ.
The diag program can't tell for certain that this is a CardBus device,
so it always gives advice for a regular PCI card.

Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993