[realtek] Makefile for D-Link DFE-538TX/R DFE-538TX Rev.D1 RTL8139C

Wm. G. McGrath wgm@telus.net
Wed, 16 May 2001 05:38:22 -0700

Howdy all,

I have the new D-Link DFE-538TX/R. The card itself is labled DFE-538TX
Rev. D1. The chip is labled DL10038C - and is a RTL8139C.

These cards were shipped with the v.1.08 (June 25/99) driver in
rtl8139.c format. That's correct - new chip - old driver. As well
there was a Makefile and README.txt file in the linux directory. This
old .c file will compile with this Makefile and produce an rtl8139.o
file.

>From the scyld.com I have downloaded the v1.13 rtl8139.c driver
(January 9/01).I hoped this will work with the RTL8139C chip and
followed the instructions included on the floppy and tried
substituting the v1.13 file for the v1.08. The newer file would not
compile. The error messages are as follows:

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -O2 -m486 -Wall -finline-functions -I
/usr/src/linux/include  -DMODVERSIONS  -c -o rtl8139.o rtl8139.c
rtl8139.c:121: pci-scan.h: No such file or directory
rtl8139.c:122: kern_compat.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [rtl8139.o] Error 1

Unfortunately I am not a kernel hacker, but I would guess that the
header files are  missing?? and not included on the floppies, or that
the Makefile is incompatible.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has gotten this new driver
to compile with this new D-Link chip. I would like to get a copy of
the missing Makefile/header file??, learn how to compile the module
properly, or get a copy of a working driver for the RTL8139C.

Aren't D-Link wonderful? Their tech support said that the most they
could do was try and help out, (mail me an obsolete driver) but that
there wasn't much else they could do because they didn't write the
driver.

GRRRR. Give me an RMA#

bill
	Knowledge shared is knowledge squared.