[realtek] Network woes

Jerry Human jerrbear@ameritech.net
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:52:26 -0400

Hello people:

I've got problems getting a network setup between two computers with realtek nics. First, a little hardware background. Both machines have a new install of Windows ME, identical nics connected to a Linksys 8 port hub. Each box recognizes the nic, loads the correct driver (Realtec RTL 8139A} and can "see" itself and all the shared folders/drives. Both boxes also have Red Hat Linux installed and setup for networking and the network, in Linux, works flawlessly.

Second, the problem. Neither box can "see" the other. Whether I setup the network manually or use the "Home Networking Wizard" the two boxes cannot "talk" to each other. Occasionally, one box will list both boxes in the "Entire Network" screen but when I click on the icon for the other box I get a "network not available" message. Sometimes, when trying to get them working properly and I'm making adjustments and rebooting, the two boxes will take turns showing the other one but never both at the same time.

Does anyone know where I can get help to get the Windows ME network working?

Thanks.

Jerry