[realtek] d-link df3530tx resource busy

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:37:06 -0400 (EDT)

[[ Note: I'm just back from a vacation -- it will take me a few days to
catch up the list messages. ]]

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001, Jamby wrote:

> I am trying to add a third nic to my router
> a dell p100 redhat 7.0.
> rtl8139-diag -ee returns
>
> Index #1: Found a D-Link DFE-538TX (RealTek RTL8139) adapter at 0xdc00.

This is a RTL8139C with a unique PCI ID.  You will need an updated
driver, which Red Hat failed to provide.

> but insmod rtl8139 returns
> Using /lib/modules/2.2.16-22/net/rtl8139.o
> /lib/modules/2.2.16-22/net/rtl8139.o: init_module: Device or resource
> busy

The old driver version didn't recognize the card.

> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> including invalid IO or IRQ parameters

This is a bogus error message -- it should never have been added to
'insmod'.

>   Bus  0, device  13, function  0:
>     Ethernet controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 16).
>       Vendor id=1186. Device id=1300.

> This is a just now upgrade to 7.0 redhat from 6.1, it wasen't
> working in 6.1 so upg...
>
> I tried compiling my own but got a host of errors. This maybe because
> I compiled it before in 6.2 After that I got the
>
>  rtl8139.o: unresolved symbol pci_drv_unregister
>  rtl8139.o: unresolved symbol pci_drv_register

You are almost there.  You must first load the pci-scan.o module, which
is usually done automatically when you use 'modprobe' instead of
'insmod'.  See
  http://www.scyld.com/network/updates.html

BTW, you could have just used
    rpm -i ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network/netdrivers-rh70.i386.rpm

Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993