[realtek] GF4050C (RTL8139)

John Traill r17296@email.sps.mot.com
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 15:21:37 +0000

Donald Becker wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, John Traill wrote:
>
> >> Could you also please send the PCI subsystem ID for this card..
> >>00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RT8139
> >        Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RT8139
>
> Darn, they are using the generic EEPROM contents from Realtek.  This
> improperly claims that it was designed/manufactured by Realtek, and
> means we can't distinguish it from regular rtl8139 boards.
>
> > > The advertising for the card doesn't claim it's a switch, so it's likely
> > > a repeater.  Thus the half duplex default setting shouldn't be a problem.
> > > What chips are on the card?  RTL8139C?  And what others?
> >
> > RTL8139B
> > TC6097P-6
>
> This is a Tamarack repeater.  I found the datasheet on tmi.com.tw --
> there is nothing unusal about it.  Specifically there are no power
> control pins.
>
> > TC6013B
>
> How many tc6013 transceivers?  Four or five?  If four, then the rtl8139 has
> a special connection to the repeater.  If five, then the rtl8139 is
> connected just as the external ports are.

There are 6 6013B devices and 5 ports ??

> > > Hmmm, no link beat reported.
> > > This could indicate the problem.
> > Basic registers of MII PHY #32:  1000 782d 0000 0000 05e1 0000 0000
>
> Ahhh, now we have link beat.
> This repeater card shouldn't require any unique setting.

The link beat was reported by mii-diag but we never had the card working
either as a repeater or receiving packets.

> > > The power-up signal seems unlikely, since the hub should work even if
> > > the OS isn't loaded.  You can verify this by seeing if other machines
> > > can pass traffic immediately when the host is first powered on.
> > >

> > After power on the card does not function as a hub. It seems dead.
>
> When does the card start acting as a repeater?
>   If the answer is "never, under Linux, but it works fine in MS Windows"
>   then we have to figure out what turns on the repeater.
>
>   If the answer is "never, even in MS Windows" then the card is broken.

I'm trying to find suitable windows machine to test the card.

--

Regards, John

John Traill                                 Motorola
Ph.   : +44 (0)1355 355494                  Colvilles Road
Fax.  : +44 (0)1355 261790                  East Kilbride G75 OTG
email : johnt@burton.sps.mot.com            Scotland
      : R17296@email.sps.mot.com

[x] General Business Use
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only