[realtek] 8139c and linux7

sharkey@ale.physics.sunysb.edu sharkey@ale.physics.sunysb.edu
Sat, 14 Oct 2000 08:26:27 -0400

> Hi,
> I am using rtl8139c from Edimax on a Redhatlinux 7 machine using the driver
> which came in /lib/modules/2.2.16-22/net/
> I also did the linuxconf and dhcpcd settings, but while booting:
>
> 1. error msg comes the eth0 initialization failes, and module doesn't get
> loaded.

Can you be more specific?  What is the exact error you see?

> 2. even after I manually load the module, it doesn't work and says "host
> unreachable".

If you load the module without configuring the interface then you won't
have a route out so all hosts will be unreachable.  That's normal.

If you're using DHCP, you need to restart the dhcp client to get a new
dhcp lease.  The client should configure the interface for you.

Eric