Problem with Accton EN1207D-TX

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Sun Mar 19 15:13:55 2000

On Sun, 19 Mar 2000, Steve Jefferson wrote:

> [Firstly, apologies if this is the wrong forum for this problem. After latest
> experiment, the problem now looks to be more general (maybe PCI/BIOS) rather
> than specific to the RTL8129/8139. However as most of my diagnostics relate to
> the RealTek-based card, I thought I'd start here (but do feel free to suggest an
> alternative forum)].
>
> Am currently trying to use an Accton EN1207D-TX with an old 'no-name'
> P90 PCI box to connect to one other machine (laptop via Cat5 RJ45 cross-over
> Symptoms: basically cannot ping laptop from P90 and vice-versa
> Laptop 100Mbps LED on, both 10 *and* 100Mbps Accton card LEDs on. Have
> tried Accton card in another PCI slot, no difference. Also have just got hold

I'm guessing that you have a bus-mastering problem.  It's possible that you
don't have any valid bus-master slots on a motherboard of that era.
If you had a 486 from the same period my first guess would be the PCI burst
bug, but no early Intel Pentium chipsets shared that bug.

> of a D-Link DE-530CT+ (DEC Tulip-based) 10Base2/10BaseT PCI card and tried
> that - doesn't work either, so it would appear more likely that the P90 is the
> problem....

Yup.  Try the Tulip card again and run 'tulip-diag' after trying to send a
few packets.   The Tulip reports better PCI bus fault info.
  http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/diag/index.html

> rtl8139.c:v1.04 9/22/98 Donald Becker http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/rtl8139.html
> eth0: RealTek RTL8139 Fast Ethernet (mislabeled) at 0xd000, IRQ 11, 00:10:b5:3e:e9:8d.
>   PCI latency timer (CFLT) is unreasonably low at 0.  Setting to 64 clocks.

This is one sign of a BIOS not expecting bus masters.

>   Interrupt sources are pending.
>    Rx Complete indication.
>    Transmit OK indication.

Hmmm, that is reporting that interrupts are not getting though.
Check /proc/interrupts to see if this is true.

>         Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11

Donald Becker
Scyld Computing Corporation, becker@scyld.com