[realtek] rtl8139 in a 486?

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 11:16:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 15 Jul 2000, Luca Olivetti wrote:

> > Does the card work fine in the beginning?
>
> Yes it does (tested at 10Mbps, since it's all what I need), at least it seems,
> for the first megabyte or so, then it receives 1K every 4 or 5 seconds. No
> errors are reported (at least I couldn't see any with ifconfig, /proc/dev/net
> and /var/log/messages).

OK, the next step to compare the register settings before and after
slowdown.  Run the rtl8139-diag program from
  http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
as
  rtl8139-diag -af

The four transmit buffer address registers will change, but any other
register changes should identify the problem.

Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
410 Severn Ave. Suite 210		Beowulf Clusters / Linux Installations
Annapolis MD 21403