[realtek] MII-DIAG and setting speeds

Ferry van Steen td@salesint.com
Tue, 26 Dec 2000 10:37:01 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C06F27.C7DC5FD0

Hey there,

I can't seem to figure out mii-diag properly.

I had a 10Mbps HUB on my 100Mbps Ethernetcards, everything was =
functioning fine (at 10Mbps) FTPing from my windows to my linux went at =
almost 1MBps (byte) so that was ok. Now I got a 100/10 HUB so I hang =
that in but the card wouldn't auto notice it, so I did mii-diag -F =
100baseTx-FD (Full Duplex Mode) This seemed to function fine, I could =
download at 2.5MBps now, however when I pulled the wire and plugged it =
back in the LED on the HUB just kept flickering while the PC (IP) was =
unreachable, which made me think renegotiation about the speed went =
wrong, so I set the card to 100baseTx (no duplex), now my downloads go =
at 100kBps max which isn't really what I was looking for.

Now I don't want to restart my linux and the card is compiled into the =
kernel (no modules), still I wanna be able to use the full speed, can I =
set the card to auto detect and just pull the wire and put it back in? =
This didn't work when it was at 10Mbps but for some reason it does mess =
with the Full-Duplex settings... Any ideas as to what I can put the card =
so I can have max performance? The box of the HUB doesn't mention =
whether or not it's Half-Duplex or Full-Duplex or anything else for that =
matter. Just 10/100 is all it says....

Kind regards,

Ferry van Steen

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C06F27.C7DC5FD0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hey there,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I can't seem to figure out mii-diag=20
properly.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I had a 10Mbps HUB on my 100Mbps =
Ethernetcards,=20
everything was functioning fine (at 10Mbps) FTPing from my windows to my =
linux=20
went at almost 1MBps (byte) so that was ok. Now I got a 100/10 HUB so I =
hang=20
that in but the card wouldn't auto notice it, so I did mii-diag -F =
100baseTx-FD=20
(Full Duplex Mode) This seemed to function fine, I could download at =
2.5MBps=20
now, however when I pulled the wire and plugged it back in the LED on =
the HUB=20
just kept flickering while the PC (IP) was unreachable, which made me =
think=20
renegotiation about the speed went wrong, so I set the card to 100baseTx =
(no=20
duplex), now my downloads go at 100kBps max which isn't really what I =
was=20
looking for.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Now I don't want to restart my linux =
and the card=20
is compiled into the kernel (no modules), still I wanna be able to use =
the full=20
speed, can I set the card to auto detect and just pull the wire and put =
it back=20
in? This didn't work when it was at 10Mbps but for some reason it does =
mess with=20
the Full-Duplex settings... Any ideas as to what I can put the card so I =
can=20
have max performance? The box of the HUB doesn't mention whether or not =
it's=20
Half-Duplex or Full-Duplex or anything else for that matter. Just 10/100 =
is all=20
it says....</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Kind regards,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ferry van =
Steen</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C06F27.C7DC5FD0--