lock up

Bernd Stahlbock stahlbock@basysprint.de
Thu Oct 28 03:54:31 1999

Donald Becker wrote:

> Something trigged a memory allocation problem, perhaps just simple memory
> corruption.  Now you have no memory to receive packets.

You are right. I stayed in the company last night and figured out some
problems with the bios parameters. It's a Half-Size ISA-Slot-CPU with Alladin
Chipset and AmiBios. When I toggle the entry EDO DRAM speculative read to
'disabled', the network chip gets serious problems. The whole system runs
well, but when I start pinging I get the errors mentioned.
But also with 'speculative read' set to 'enabled' the system crashes after
some time, although it runs very much better. By the way, it's easy to kill
the system for example by ping with '-s 6000' or greater.
Also I learned last night, that it's very bad when I fix the SMC Etherpower
Card in my Desktop PC to Fullduplex. The rtl8139 don't like that and
Networktrafic between them gets _very_ slow.

Now I will try the 1.08 driver you pointed me to. I will tell you what
happens.

Bernd

--
stahlbock@basysprint.de, http://www.basysprint.de
basysPrint GmbH, Guelzer Str. 15, 19258 Boizenburg, Germany