Bug in RTL8139 driver ?

Hector Garcia hector@scouts-es.org
Sun Oct 3 11:47:09 1999

Hi my name is Hector

I recently mounted an Intranet usnig cards with the realteck chipset.

All the PC´s work in win95 and the server work in Linux (Debian 2.1)

The problem is the following:

I ping the server from 20 computers sending 20,000 bytes pakages (maximun allow by
win95) and the ethernet card of the server crashes, after an indeterminate amount of
 time (minimun 3 sec., max 3 min.) . Giving this message:

eth0: Transmit timeout, status 0d 2000
eth0: Transmit timeout, status 0d 0000

if I do an (ipdown , rmmod , modprobe, ipup) sequence, it works again for an
indeterminate amount of time.

I cannot be sure if is a problem of the card (hardware and no software) because if I
do the same against a win95 machine it just doesn´t respond to any ping over 2000
bytes and if if has more than 12 machines doing ping to it, just doesn´t respond to
some of then and keep working with a few machines.

I found this problem (I wasn´t trying to probe how good was the driver) while trying
to install office97 from the server (using samba) in 3 machines at the same time.
The card crashed in about 20 seconds. It also crashed after 3 hours of using
internet (through the server, using ip-masquerade) with a maximum of 5 persons at
the time.

Hope you can help me and give some solution.

Many thanks,

Hector

and an average of 2 persons