Blocked interrupt lines and others

Donald Becker becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Oct 1 17:59:20 1999

On Fri, 1 Oct 1999, Taso Hatzi wrote:

> I'm seeing some annoying tcp/ip-related problems on a machine
> and I was wondering if anyone can tell me whether the following
> messages are significant.
..
> Oct  1 14:41:55 snark kernel: eth0: RTL8139 Interrupt line blocked,
> status 4.
> Oct  1 14:41:55 snark kernel: eth0: SMP simultaneous entry of an
> interrupt handler.

These messages are harmless buglets.  I wasn't expecting that the interrupt
latency window would be large enough that the blocked-interrupt message
would be spuriously triggered.  I've changed this check in that most recent
version of rtl8139.c

> Oct  1 17:02:27 snark kernel: eth0: Transmit timeout, status 0d 2000
> media 08.
> Oct  1 17:02:27 snark kernel: eth0: Tx queue start entry 2724445  dirty
> entry 2724441, full.

This is a problem -- apparently the transmitter stopped again.

> I've only just signed up to this ng, is there an archive of recent
> postings
> anywhere?

Hmmm, I no longer have control of the archiver/hypermail machine...
Wow, it's still working!  Maybe this "computer fad" might work out after all!
  http://beowulf.gsfc.nasa.gov/listarchives/

Donald Becker					  becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882	     http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html