Problem with HP1207D-TX 10/100 card

Gunes Aybay gunes_aybay@yahoo.com
Sun Nov 14 00:51:09 1999

I am trying to install Linux on an HP Pavilion 8575C
PC, which comes with an HP 1207D-TX 10/100 PCI
ethernet card. HP support could not give me
pointer to a linux driver for this card, but after
some research, it looked like this card was based
on the RealTek 8139 chip. I loaded the rtl8139.o
module, and the linux boot seemed to recognize
the chip. I got the following messge during boot:

eth0: SMC1211TX EZCard 10/100 (RealTek RTL8139) at
0x1400, IRQ 0, 00:10:b5:02:fa:88

However, the card does not seem to operate at all.
For example, if I do a ping, I don't see any
activity (checking the LEDs on the card and on
my hub)

The same machine/card/network seems to work just
fine under Windows 98, so I think my HW setup is OK.
I/O base of 0x1400 seems to agree with the information
I get on this card when I boot Windows 98. However,
IRQ 0 is somewhat suspicious. Windows 98 reports
that this card uses IRQ 2/9.

Has anybody seen similar problems with the rtl8139
based cards? Has anyone been able to get linux to
work with the HP 1207D-TX 10/100 card?

Are there any suggestions on what I can do to
debug this problem? I don't have much experience
with linux but worked with C and UNIX drivers
before.

Gunes