two questions

Peter Green pcg@gospelcom.net
Fri Nov 12 08:53:13 1999

The first question I have is easy: is this list archived anywhere? I'd like
to be able to thumb through the archives...

The second is not so easy: I have a couple of Realtek knockoffs with an MPX
EN-5038 chipset. They are detected just fine, the linklight comes on when
connected (both at the NIC and the switch), and pings light up the activity
light. HOWEVER, the pings don't actually succeed. Worse, no errors seem to
occur. While pinging from this interface, ifconfig shows the TX packets
incrementing and the remote end's RX packets incrementing. RX on the sending
end and TX on the receiving end are not incrementing.

On one occasion, the kernel complained about something like incorrect frame
size. I didn't write it down because I thought SURELY it would repeat. It
hasn't, and I've rebooted. :(

I'm relatively sure I've got the network setup right. Currently, I'm using
the stock RH6 kernel w/ version 1.04 of the rtl8139.c driver. This behavior
also shows up using version 1.08; I haven't tried 1.08a (since it didn't
look all that different/helpful for my particular situation).

Any thoughts on this bizarre problem? (If not, I'm returning these silly
cards...)

/pg
--
Peter Green