Duplex mode

sharkey@superk.physics.sunysb.edu sharkey@superk.physics.sunysb.edu
Tue Nov 2 10:20:41 1999

> Where can I read about collisions and their sources?

Collisions occur when two hosts on a network send a packet on the same
wire at the same time.  The data gets trashed and both hosts need to resend
it.

This is a normal event for ethernet and nothing to worry about, so long as
it doesn't happen *too* often.

By definition, in order for a host to be in full duplex mode, it has to be
able to send and receive at the same time.  If it's receiving, that means
that another host must be sending, which means that two hosts will be
sending at the same time.  That's a guaranteed collision unless you're not
sending and receiving on the same wire, i.e. you are directly
connected to another host via a cross-over cable or you are connected to
a switching hub, and if that's the case, collisions are impossible.

That's why, if you're in duplex mode, you can't get collisions.  Got it?

Eric