Problem with Realtek 8139 and MB Intel 440BX

sharkey@superk.physics.sunysb.edu sharkey@superk.physics.sunysb.edu
Fri Dec 17 10:50:55 1999

> > > I tried to load it manually and I got a IRQ 0 problem.
> >
> > Check /proc/pci.  See what IRQ is being reported by the BIOS for this
> > card.  If it says zero there, you'll need to either change your bios settings
> > or move the card to a new slot to get a real IRQ.
>
> /proc/pci says nothing about IRQs. I thought it was right, because this
> card is PnP, isn't it?

You did say this was a RTL8139 didn't you?

AFAIK, all RTL8139 based cards are PCI based.  There are no ISA cards with
the 8139.  PCI cards get their IRQ's assigned by the BIOS.  This is different
than ISA P&P.

If your /proc/pci doesn't say anything about IRQ's, then your whole system
is whacked.  Here's a sample of what the relevant section should look like.

    Bus  0, device  10, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: Realtek 8139 (rev 16).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 12.  Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=32.Max Lat=64.
      I/O at 0xec00 [0xec01].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xea002000 [0xea002000].

> > Or your card is just whacked...
>
> The card works with Windows 98. Funny, isn't it? :^)

I haven't yet determined if Windows 98 is better classified as funny or sad.

Eric