Got same message twice while loading module only once

Donald Becker becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Dec 1 12:59:05 1999

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Technical Service - Sales International Holland B.V. wrote:

> just wondering whether I'm doing something wrong.

Yes.  Please don't send HTML-encoded email.

> At boot time when the module loads I see the message 'rtl8139.c:v1.08 =
> 6/25/99 Donald Becker http://url.to.doc' twice while the configuration =
> line 'eth0 Realtek irq hex:hex:hex:hex:hex' only appears once.
>
> Is this normal?

The module emits the message each time it loads, even if it doesn't detect a
card.  (You especially need the version info when a new card *isn't*
detected.)

My first reaction is that soemthing is trying to load the module twice, but
normally this could only happen if it's loaded under a different name.

If the driver is built into the kernel, instead of being loaded as a module,
the PCI probe routines should only be called once.  Some recent kernels have a
buglet that calls the probe routine multiple times.  That usually results in
eight messages, not just two.

Donald Becker
Scyld Computing Corporation, and
USRA-CESDIS,   becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov