NIC driver compiling errors/problems

Tim Brobst tbrobst@cjnetworks.com
Sun Nov 28 07:28:20 1999

Hi everyone,
I have the Kingston KNE120TX EtheRx nic for my ADSL line and my RH6.0
doesn't have a driver for this card. Being somewhat of a newbe in linux
I would like to get some experience doing some downloading and
compiling. I have been in contact with Kingston and they are "working"
on my problem. They have referred me to this site
(http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/rtl8139.c) for the driver for

my nic card. Here is my problems, I have used both compile commands,
(the one from the bottom of this driver page, and one that Kingston
forwarded to me via email) the commands are the same except the one from

Kingston has an added line. From the page:
"gcc -DMODULE -D_KERNEL_ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c rtl8139.c
And here is the one that Kingston sent:
gcc -DMODULE -D_KERNEL_ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c rtl8139.c '[ -f

/usr/include/linux/modversions.h ] && echo -DMODVERSIONS'

When i use the first command I get the following information lines and
errors:
rtl8139.c:61:warning: #Warning You must compile this file with the
correct options!
rtl8139.c:62:warning: #Warning See the last lines of the source file.
rtl8139.c:63:warning: #error You must compile this driver with "-O".

I get the same information lines and errors when I run the command that
Kingston sent me, except this "gcc" line comes in before all the rest:
gcc: [ -f /usr/src/linux/modversions.h ] && echo -DMODVERSIONS: no such
file or directory.

I have followed all paths and have everything that's is listed in both
commands, so I don't understand the "no such file or directory" that the

second command returns. I have noticed that if I try to go into the
/usr/src/linux directory it sends me into /usr/src/linux2.2.5
directory, why I have no idea, acts almost like a default path.
I have downloaded the file into /usr/src/linux as I am told, but it
shows up in the /usr/src/linux2.2.5 directory showing the same result
as trying to get into the /linux directory of the same path.

Any help is appreciated
Tim Brobst
tbrobst@cjnetworks.com