rtl8139 driver crashes linux server

Jens Wiedemann jens@syscon-gmbh.com
Sun Aug 29 17:42:11 1999

Dear RTL8139 driver coder,

I am running different linux servers with RTL8139 compatible network
card. (LevelOne)
Often, when copying files from Windows NT/98/95 stations onto the Linux
system via SAMBA the system totally hangs.... the kernel error message
is like the following:

eth0: Transmit timeout, status 0d 0000 media 00.
TX queue start entry 24539 dirty entry 24539

After this message the linux server has to get switched off and on
again, there's no way to connect to the server via ISDN, network or
direct terminal anymore. Since I used about 10 different network cards I
don't think it is a hardware problem, especially 'cos I can use the
cards without any problem under Windows NT server, Windows 95 / 98
etc...

The Linux OS I'm using is DEBIAN Kernel V2.2.10.

For a reply, maybe even a hint or a new driver I say thank you in
advance....

jens@syscon-gmbh.com