[netdrivers] Probs with changing the MAC address

HenriciT@amann-online.de HenriciT@amann-online.de
Mon Jan 13 11:08:02 2003

Hi there,

I'm trying to change the MAC addresses on a D-Link TX 580 multiport NIC.
It's installed in a SuSE Linux 8.1 (Kernel version 2.4.19) with latest
sundance drivers installed. The NIC as suc works alright. I just have the
problem, that the interfaces aren't rechable anymore after I change the mac
addresses with

ip link set eth1 down
ip link set eth1 address de:ad:be:ef:00:01
ip link set eth1 down

After I assign an IP address, the interface is not responding anymore. The
NIC responds The funny thing about this is, that when the interface is set
into promiscous mode by etherreal for example a "ping" works alright.

Here is my guess, maybe somebody can confirm:

Something seems to be aware of the NICs new MAC address, since an ARP
REQUEST ist answered correctly. But when it comes down to sending IP packets
to that device, something else is not aware and doesn't accept the packets.

Can anyone tell me who or what is responsible for the first action (replying
correctly to the ARP request) and what for the second (not accepting packets
on the MAC address, that was returned earlier by the same device ).

Of cause a hint on a solution to that problem, would make my day a lot more
uncomplicated either...

Thanks and best regards,

Thorsten

Thorsten Henrici