[epic] can't compile epic100.c under 2.4 kernel (Red Hat 7.1)?

James Ralston qralston+ml.epic@andrew.cmu.edu
Thu, 10 May 2001 00:22:06 -0400 (EDT)

Has anyone been able to get epic100.c (version 1.11 1/7/2001) to
compile under the 2.4 kernel series?

I'm running Red Hat 7.1, kernel 2.4.2-2.  The stock epic100.o that
comes with RH 7.1 (version 1.11 1/7/2001, which additionally
identifies itself as "unofficial 2.4.x kernel port, version 1.1.6,
January 11, 2001") works fine for the most part, but I have a
dual-boot Windows/Linux machine, and Windows always leaves the card in
ACPI D3 state.  The stock Red Hat 7.1 epic100.o doesn't restore the
ACPI power state of the card.

I had this same problem with Red Hat 7.0 and 6.x; the solution that
Donald recommended was to grab kern_compat.h, pci-scan.h, pci-scan.c,
and epic100.c directly from http://www.scyld.com/network/ and compile
and install pci-scan.c and epic100.c.  This worked fine.

But now, although I can compile pci-scan.c with no errors, attempting
this compile command:

kgcc -DMODULE -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6  -c epic100.c

...results in 48 lines' worth of errors and warnings.  It looks as if
epic100.c hasn't been ported to kernel 2.4 yet.

Right now, the only way I can boot from Windows to Linux is to
completely power off my machine and then power it back on.  This
works, but unnecessary power cycles are not a Good Thing.

A unified diff (with 0 context lines) between Red Hat's "unofficial
2.4.x kernel port" epic100.c and Donald's epic100.c is 744 lines.
Despite having the same 1.11 version number, these are very different
beasts.

Any advice on the best way to get an epic100 driver compiled for the
2.4 kernel that knows how to restore the ACPI power state of the card?

--
James Ralston, Information Technology
Software Engineering Institute