Trouble getting ep100 driver to work

Nick Busigin nick@xwing.org
Sun Jan 17 10:50:58 1999

On Sat, 16 Jan 1999, Florian Kusche wrote:

> Nick Busigin wrote:
>
> > Kernel Version: 2.0.36
>
> > epic100.c:v1.04 8/23/98 Donald Becker
>
> I have problems with this kernel/driver, too. I could fix it once by
> setting TX_FIFO_THRESH in epic100.c from 256 to 128, but for some
> reason, this doesn´t work anymore, so I went back to kernel 2.0.35.
> 2.2.0pre6 also works for me.
>
> Could you try 2.0.35 and tell me, if it works. Maybe, we can find the
> problem.

Hello Flo!

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will try 2.0.35 this morning and let you
know how it works.  (I'm currently using 2.0.36).  For what it's worth, I
have done a little more trouble-shooting and have gotten a little further.
I can now get the Ethernet card to send packets out.  I did this by
manually forcing the ARP table to be updated as follows:

On xwing I typed:

      arp -s belgarath 00:E0:29:1C:2B:BB

On belgarath I typed:

      arp -s xwing 00:E0:29:1C:2B:AF

Now when I send a ping to the other machine, I can see the activity L.E.D.
on the cards light up and the ifconfig command shows that packets are now
being sent out, as shown from an 'ifconfig eth0' run on xwing:

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:E0:29:1C:2B:AF
          inet addr:192.168.10.1  Bcast:192.168.10.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          Collisions:0
          Interrupt:11 Base address:0xd400

Also, the card is now generating interrupts, as can be seen from examining
the /proc/interrupts pseudo-file:

xwing:/home/nick# cat /proc/interrupts
 0:    6503549   timer
 1:     144196   keyboard
 2:          0   cascade
 3:     170678 + serial
 4:    1978750 + serial
 9:         17   aha1542
11:        245   SMC EPIC/100   <--- now receiving interrupts from card
13:          1   math error
14:    1863481 + ide0

It is curious that the number of interrupts is quite low compared to the
number of packets that are shown as having been sent out by the ifconfig
commands output.

Unfortunately, no packets are being received.

I will now try your suggestion to try using 2.0.35 and will report back
with my results.

Thanks again for your help!

                               Nick