epic100 problems - netcard card "hanging"

Christopher Smith drsmithy@usa.net
Tue Nov 10 02:14:12 1998

Hello,
	I'm having trouble with the epic driver and an EPIC100 based no-name
network card.  The problem occurs when any sort of large-scale network
transfer is attempted - most noticably when trying to FTP big (>600Mb) files
into the machine.  The network card will consistently "hang" with the
following error message:

Nov  8 21:56:04 labserver kernel: eth0: Transmit timeout using MII device,
Tx status 0003.
(reported in /var/log/messages)
somewhere between 70 and 120Mb into the transfer.  The equivalent amount of
data in small files uploaded can easily be exceeded, so I suspect the
problem only lies in long, fast, continuous network activity.  I am using
the latest (v1.04) driver and have tested under 2.0.35 and 2.1.125 kernels.
The card is detected on boot as:

eth0: SMC EPIC/100 at 0x7000, IRQ 10, 00:e0:29:1f:8e:b0.
eth0: MII transceiver #3 control 3000 status 7809.
eth0:  Autonegotiation advertising 01e1 link partner 0001.

The machine itself can still be used, but network connectivity cannot be
resumed without a reboot.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
--
Christopher Smith
2nd Year BSc (Computing)