[eepro100] wait_for_cmd_done timeout, report on installing Intel e100 driver

Brett Thorson bthorson@foretec.com
Sat Jan 25 09:58:01 2003

On Friday 24 January 2003 09:22, John Madden wrote:
> > As suggested by ASPLinux support team I successfully installed an Intel
> > e100 driver, and for now it works fine.
>
> Please keep us updated - I've heard that the e100 driver doesn't fix the
> error in all situations.  Further, I've heard that even switching to
> non-intel cards using different drivers (!) doesn't fix the issue.
>
> I went out on a limb and just patched my bios.  Eh... What's left?
>
> John

I'll have to agree with you on that one.  I tried the updated driver, then I
tried the intel driver.  Still had the error messages.

I ended up putting an SMC card into the system.  That ended up working, but I
was seeing increasing PING times, to the point that the system would be come
unreachable.  (Same symptom as the other driver, but no error messages).

So I started monitoring it, and as soon as I did, it went away.  So right now
I am running on the SMC card.  I still don't trust it, but it's better to be
skeptical, then be in the office everynight to reboot the sucker!

--Brett