[eepro100] eepro100 in kernel and another question....

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Wed Sep 25 15:48:23 2002

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Wujciak, James wrote:

> 1. Is there a planned date for a newer eepro100 driver  (1.24 or greater)
> to be rolled in the kernel?

Sorry, I have no control over what is put into the kernel.

> 2. Is there a eepro100-diag (PPC) version without the Intel specific calls?

The calls are not Intel specific, although the "iopl()" initialization
function has the semantics of the x86 instruction with the same name.

There is a PPC library that will support the diagnostics.  Your PPC
distribution may have removed the support, but it does exist.

The iopl() function should act as an required initializer before subsequent
calls to the inb() etc. functions.   It does not matter to the diagnostics
if these functions call an asm instruction (the x86 case), or maps in a
memory space that translates to PCI I/O space accesses (the PPC library
code).