[eepro100] eth0: card reports no resources

Irene Koo irene@syndeocorp.com
Thu Oct 17 17:43:40 2002

hi,

recently several of our linux machines are experiencing
the eth0:card reports no resources problem.

our machines are HP Pentium III 1.2G Hz 2-CPU machines,
running redhat 2.4.18-10smp kernel

i have read through the previous emails in the archive
and updated the bdflush with
   echo 100 >> /proc/sys/vm/bdflush
(i read from the documentations that the 2nd, 3rd
   parameters are dummy)

and used the ipTraf to monitor the # of packets in/out
of the system.

i was wondering if anybody knows what's the max
traffic the NIC can handle? we are running some medium~high
traffic onto the systems

my systems show

x Total rates:        672.6 kbits/sec        Broadcast packets:          504
x                     568.2 packets/sec      Broadcast bytes:         172368
x Incoming rates:     296.8 kbits/sec
x                     289.0 packets/sec
x                                            IP checksum errors:           0
x Outgoing rates:     375.8 kbits/sec
x                     279.2 packets/sec

and i still get the message on and off (approx. 3~4 time every hour)

the follow is the output of eepro100-diag

eepro100-diag.c:v2.11 8/27/2002 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
Index #1: Found a Intel i82557/8/9 EtherExpressPro100 adapter at 0x1400.
Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100 EEPROM contents:
  Station address 00:03:47:A5:5F:43.
  Board assembly fab600-000, Physical connectors present: RJ45
  Primary interface chip i82555 PHY #1.

thx.

Irene Koo
Software Engineer              Email: irene@syndeocorp.com