[eepro100] kernel: eth0: card reports no resources.

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Thu Oct 17 13:34:28 2002

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Alex Kramarov wrote:

> I have 2 ibm X330 servers, 2*PIII 1.1GHZ, 2 inter eepro100 onboard NICs,
> both of them running TUX (advanced kernel mode web server that puts all
> other web servers in a back pocket if measuring raw power). the boxes run
> 24/7, loaded, outputting between 20 to 40 MB/sec, with several thousands of
> concurrent connections each.
> "eepro100.c:v1.09j-t 9/29/99 Donald Becker
> "eepro100.c: $Revision: 1.36 $ 2000/11/17 Modified by Andrey V. Savochkin

Note that I don't support modified drivers.

> the card is 82557 based

That's a more reliable chip than the later versions, which have known
problems.

> I didn't try the vm proc settings change, but i don't believe that they
> would help - these machines serve from memory, they don't access the disk at
> all during normal operation.

They will help.  The skbuff shortage isn't related to whether the
content is served from kernel memory or a user process, or if the disk
is being accessed.

> now, i read something about sleep mode, didn't find exactly what it is, but
> i assume it's bad :

It's bad.  Turn it off.