[eepro100] [some questions: overrun and throughput]

Matt K. Jeon matt@techsystem.net
Mon Nov 4 09:57:02 2002

Dear all,

I got some questions and wonderings about eepro100 driver.

Environment:
    Kernel version: RedHat 7.3 / kernel version 2.4.18-3
    NIC: PCI8134(bypass enabled NIC from ADLink) which uses two 82559 chip
    Driver: eepro100 v1.25 8/27/2002 from your web(http://www.scyld.com/)
    Linux bridge

After install your driver, it worked fine a few hours.
But after that time system showed me some curious messages,
when I typed "netstat -i -v" the result is as follows

[root@mattlin netdrivers]# netstat -i -v
Kernel Interface table
Iface   MTU Met    RX-OK RX-ERR RX-DRP RX-OVR    TX-OK TX-ERR TX-DRP TX-OVR Flg
dev-b 1500   0       77047      0            0            0           20963      0           0           0      BRU
eth0   1500   0        86983      0           0             0           23963      0           0          24     BRU
eth1    1500   0        1011       0            0           0            36007      0          0          33681  BU
lo       16436   0        6           0            0           0                6        0          0            0      LRU

(dev-b is bridge)

others are fine but TX-OVR (overrun at ifconfig) was showed, and some packets were droped continuously.

I wondering about the TX-OVR, why that result was occurr?
I think eepro100 driver may got some bugs in ring buffer size(currently 32 in codes)...
Am I wrong? or Was it a bug? or are there some problems in cooperation with linux bridge?
Was it occurred because 82559 chip (throughput or heat problem) performance ?

Any comments are fine to me, please give your advice.
Matt