[eepro100] eth0: card reports no resources - can you help meidentify which version of this problem I'm having?

Wed Jun 12 13:58:00 2002

Donald Becker wrote:

> If the problem is that the kernel is running short of memory, even
> though the machine has plenty of RAM, try the tuning the VM parameters:

yeah i remember that, what is the potential pitfalls if any of changing
the parameters? I have never tuned the vm for linux before. I read the
docs(Documentation/sysctl/vm.txt) from the source on it, but they didn't
explain to me what good values were to be.

also, is there any benefit for making it higher? or downside? I run 2.2
kernels on all my systems. mainly I am interested in is would it
it severely affect performance, stability, other things (like SCSI and/or IDE
controllers). I suppose in theory i could increase freepages.high to
some absurd number to make sure theres always plenty of memory, but
then the question is how much memory is in a page? most of my systems
operate with 3-4 times the minimum amount of physical memory to do their
tasks..(i'll stop because its getting a bit off topic :) ) Maybe this
could affect SCSI buffers? I have a problem on another system with 3
DLT tape drives, even after tuning the scsi buffers in the kernel and
recompiling, i still get cannot allocate buffer errors(even with
768MB ram).

maybe it will help the 3com problem too..

maybe there is a book or document somewhere that describes scenarios and
how best to tune for them..

thanks donald for great drivers!!

nate

--