[eepro100] eth0: card reports no resources - can you help me identify which version of this problem I'm having?

Tue Jun 11 14:07:01 2002

Robert Fentiman said:
> After looking through the ML archives, I know you're probably
tired
> of hearing this one, but even so I would appreciate your help in
> tracking down which version of the cause and possible solution for
> the problem I'm seeing.

while i don't have a solution, i have a workaround that
works for me. when this happens if I reset the interface
(on debian via /etc/init.d/networking restart) it fixes the
problem.  I have a similar issue on 3COM 3C905 cards, different
error message, but same result, and the same workaround works.

wish i had a full solution. luckily I have only encountered
this problem on the eepro cards that i have(i have about
2 dozen of them in servers) 3-4 times in the past year,
and on the 3com cards, 3-4 times(on the same server).

on my personal server which has dual 3c905b's (only 1 is in
use), i had to setup a script to search the log for the
error message and restart networking if it finds it. since
it seems to happen at random once every 2-3 months.

in all instances the driver is compiled into the kernel,
not sure if the situation would be different if it
was modularized.

nate

--
Nate Amsden