[eepro100] eepro100 & 10 Mbps

Danilo Godec danci@agenda.si
Mon Jan 14 03:25:01 2002

In regard to the infamous eepro100 hang when used on 10Mbps network:

I just found out, that NOT ALL eepro100 chips have a problem with that.
I have a brand new Intel motherboard (Englewood) with one on-board LAN.
For testing purposes, I also got a separate Intel PCI NIC.

01:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation: Unknown device 2449 (rev 03)
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation: Unknown device 3013
        Memory at ff8fe000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
        I/O ports at de80 [size=64]
        Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2

01:0c.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82559 InBusiness 10/100 (rev 08)
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation: Unknown device 1030
        Memory at ff8ff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
        I/O ports at df00 [size=64]
        Memory at ff700000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
        Expansion ROM at ff600000 [disabled] [size=1M]
        Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2

Now the first one is on-board and is eth0, the second is a stand-alone NIC
and is eth1. The on-board chip hangs just seconds after I connect it to
10Mbps hub and put some load on it, the PCI card doesn't.

I have downloaded all the utils (mii-diag, pci-config, eepro100-diag,
libmii), but now I don't know what tests/information would be usefull.

What tests should I run and what info I should post so someone can do
something about it?

Thanks, D.