[eepro100] Problem with two onboard eepro100 cards (how to bind exactly first card to eth0)

Fri Jan 11 13:27:02 2002

Christian Schneider wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have got a problem with a Supermicro 1U rack server. It has two onboard
> eepro100 cards. I only use one of them. Till now I configure the card like:

i have 4 similar systems. supermicro 1U with dual onboard eepro cards. though
slightly different board, mine has onboard intel video yours has ATI.
on my chassis the ports are labeled. but they are labelled backwards
as far as how linux sees them. port 0 is eth1 and port 1 is eth0.
as another poster noted the arrangement will never change provided
the resources of the chips do not change(which is near impossible
to do i think).

this is the chassis i have:
http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/Chassis/SC811.htm
SC810/SC811 IDE

also last time i tried the driver/chip has SEVERE problems doing
IP aliasing on eth1. About a year ago we managed to get lockups 100%
of the time doing this. eth0 has no issues with IP aliasing. the
problem may of been fixed in a more recent driver but i don't
have any of the systems available to crash to test it or not.(I
posted several times to the list at the time, so if your interested
check the archives)

this is the chip i have:
01:04.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82557 [Ethernet Pro 100] (rev 08)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation EtherExpress PRO/100+ Server Adapter (PILA8470B)
	Memory at ff8fe000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
	I/O ports at de80
	Memory at ff700000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
	Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2

linux was not alone in crashing, openbsd 2.8 crashed within minutes of
passing traffic between the interfaces every time i tried to use it.
I posted to the OBSD users mailing list but got no reply.
most of the servers have uptime of 200+ days without IP aliasing on
eth1.

nate

--
Nate Amsden