[eepro100] Newbie: eth1: card reports no resources

Ryan Hill rhill@xypoint.com
Mon Feb 4 17:15:01 2002

Donald,

Thank you for your quick reply, comments inline below:

> > Feb  3 04:02:12 devastator kernel: eth1: card reports no resources.
> > Feb  3 04:08:48 devastator last message repeated 75 times
>
> You are likely running out of memory.

Really?  My memory consumption is:
Mem:   382048K av,  378912K used,    3136K free,      48K shrd,   19004K
buff
Swap:  787264K av,  115736K used,  671528K free                  177964K
cached

And has consistently operated in this range for months without problems.
Also, these messages begin immediately after start-up, when almost all of my
memory is still free.  My eth2 card is the exact same model, and has never
reported this message, ever, since the box was built.

> > The card does not have an IP address associated with it, it
> exists as
> > a promiscous interface on the machine for sniffing only.
>
> Yup -- promiscuous mode is consistent with running short of
> packet buffers.

So, are these messages indicating my buffer size is set too low (if so,
where do I change this?), or that I'm running out of physical memory to
process the packets?

Thanks,
Ryan