[eepro100] Newbie: eth1: card reports no resources

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Mon Feb 4 16:50:01 2002

On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, Ryan Hill wrote:

> Apologies if this has already been covered in depth, I searched the archives
> before subscribing and couldn't find a similar problem with this same error.
> I recently added a second eepro100 card to my RH 7.2 box to replace a failed
> 3com card and set it up with kudzu on IRQ 9.  It comes up and works OK,
> except for the fact that my syslog is entirely full of the following error
> message:
>
> Feb  3 04:02:12 devastator kernel: eth1: card reports no resources.
> Feb  3 04:08:48 devastator last message repeated 75 times

You are likely running out of memory.

> The card does not have an IP address associated with it, it exists as a
> promiscous interface on the machine for sniffing only.

Yup -- promiscuous mode is consistent with running short of packet buffers.

> What stands out to me here is that eth1 is missing a base IO address.

That's normal.

> I tried setting it via io_addr in ifconfig

Why?  That's a bogus interface that will only break things.

> But that didn't work and someone
> else in the archives pointed out that you can't do this with PCI cards.

Correct.  The I/O address information is for reference only.  In some
cases it is useful to identify the hardware associated with an interface.