[eepro100] errors with eepro100 nic

Runs With Scissors <bill@jeffuswilliams.com> bill@jeffuswilliams.com
Thu Nov 8 00:48:01 2001

On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Donald Becker wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Runs With Scissors wrote:
>
> > I have a Sony Viao FX220 with a built-in NIC that is giving me problems.
> > The NIC is an eepro100, and it has very erratic behavior when the laptop
> > is running Linux, but does seem fast and reliable under WinME.
>
> Have you tried the driver from
>    http://www.scyld.com/network/eepro100.html
> or the e100 driver from Intel?
>
> The directions are at
>   http://www.scyld.com/network/updates.html
>
> > There were several messages that read
> > 	eepro100: wait_for_cmd_done timeout!
> > which repeated some number of times, then were followed by
> > 	eth0: Transmit timed out: status 0050 0c80 at 4720/4748 command 200c0000
>
> Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
> Scyld Computing Corporation		http://www.scyld.com
> 410 Severn Ave. Suite 210		Second Generation Beowulf Clusters
> Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993

Sorry to take so long to get back to you on this, but I just recently got
the driver installed and have been able to see the performance.
This driver is a lot better than the one I had previously, but still does
lose its connection while in service.
What I get now is good enough that file transfers do happen, which is
dramatically better than the other one gave me. During some sessions, I am
still getting slow performance, though, and during those periods, I popped
open a new xterm and tried to ping some machine. What I'll see is 9
packets sent, and 4 returned, or something along those lines. Then it'll
start getting 100% again, and my performance looks normal. Then it may
drop out for a while again, and come back again.
The symptoms are very similar to the ones from the other driver, but
_much_ less severe.
I don't know if that helps in debugging at all, but I did want to be sure
to give whatever feedback I can provide.
Thank you.
-BA

--
   ________    Bill Arnold  bill@jeffuswilliams.com