[eepro100] Auto-negotiation: can set by mii-diag but not by boot

Dan Halbert halbert@bbn.com
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 13:16:51 -0400 (EDT)

  DH>> Originally, /etc/lilo.conf said:
  DH>>  append="ether=0,0,0x30,eth0"    # set 100Full no autonegotiate
  DH>> I removed this line to enable autonegotiation, since I understand that
  DH>> "options=0" should mean auto-negotiation is turned on (right?).

  DB>"options=0" did mean that the setting is left unchanged.

Aha!  So there's a different way of forcing NWay autonegotiation?

I was assuming that options=0 would set auto-negotiation because
of the example on this page:
  http://www.scyld.com/network/eepro100.html
which says:
  The option flags are passed as follows when loading the driver as a module

        insmod eepro100.o debug=1 options=0x20,0,0x50

  This sets the first adapter to 100mbps-only operation, the second to
  the default NWay autonegotiation, and the third to 10mbps
  full-duplex.

  The option flags are passed as the third parameter when using the
  driver permanently linked into the kernel

     ether=0,0,0x20,eth0 ether=0,0,0,eth1 ether=0,0,0x50,eth2

  DB>Hmmm, are you certain about the power-cycle?  If this is a wake-on-LAN
  DB>board, you might need a hard-power-off rather than a soft-power-off.

I did a power-off and pulled the power cord. At least I think I have a
strong memory of doing that. Hmmm...

Thanks a lot for your reply,
Dan