[eepro100] e100 vs. eepro100

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 12:04:47 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Antwerpen, Oliver wrote:

> > > Feb  8 15:25:28 hunter kernel:   PHY index 1 register 1 is 7829.
> >
> > This one _looks_ easy -- you lost link beat at some point.  That's not
> > necessarily the problem, but might be.
>
> Yes, right. Now I remenber the numbers... *g*

That "7829" status isn't perfectly obvious?
I was *certain* that they covered that in kindergarten!  ;->

  Understanding MII Transceiver Status Info
    http://www.scyld.com/diag/mii-status.html

> > > Feb  8 15:25:28 hunter kernel:   PHY index 1 register 5 is 45e1.
> >
> > Your link partner is advertising flow control.  It's possible that the
> > i82559 chip has paused transmission due to flow control.  I
> > should print
> > the current flow control timeout as well.  Was the network
> > exceptionally
> > busy at this time?

> No, it also happens at night, when there's almost no traffic. For me
> there seems to be no relationship between traffic and problems.

> > Did the interface resume correct operation at this point?
>
> Yes, in this case it did.

Are there cases where the driver doesn't recover?

> > > Feb  8 15:25:28 hunter kernel:   PHY index 1 register 0 is 3000.
> > > Feb  8 15:25:28 hunter kernel:   PHY index 1 register 1 is 782d.
> >
> > Link beat has returned.
>
> OK. So this means to me, that I should not use auto negotiation, but pass
> options=... to the module? Is it sure, that this will help? Otherways I will
> try out the intel e100 module. My customer isn't really happy right now...

No, forcing the media type won't fix the problem.  The chip stops
transmitting when it doesn't have link beat even with the forced media
type.

The driver is configured to take action quickly in an attempt to restore
operation, assuming that something has gone wrong.  Look for v1.14 soon,
which will
   reset a transceiver left set to fixed 10baseT (Ref: Alpha SRM boot bug)
   emit a few more details if the driver resets the chip