[eepro100] Re: suspend problem with eepro100, intel 82557

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 15:41:46 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 13 Apr 2001, Marcel van der Goot wrote:

> Alain E. wrote:
> > I'm trying to use a Mini PCI intel 82557 adapter on a Dell Inspiron 4000.
> > It works correctly using linux 2.2.16, but after suspending the machine,
> > the interface hangs. Using rmmod, insmod doesn't help.
> [various other things didn't help either]
>
> Having an Inspiron 4000 as well, I have the same problem. However, it
> does not appear to be directly related to the ethernet driver: the
> card is a combo ethernet/modem card. The modem driver (linmodem "ltmodem")
> is unrelated to the ethernet driver, but has exactly the same problem:
> after suspension it doesn't work anymore.
>
> This seems to suggest it isn't related to either driver, but to
> the card itself (incomplete pci implementation?) or to the way linux
> recognizes the card. Could it be related to plug-and-play features not
> automatically implemented by linux?

The problem seems to be that the PCI bus bridge settings are not being
restored.  This should be done by the APM BIOS call for on-board
devices.

The pci-scan code can re-activate the device, but the not the bridge.
One solution is to write a bridge driver that saves and restores the
mapping registers.