[eepro100] Performance improvement.

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 09:40:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Ofer Fryman wrote:

> I got some response from people that Intel does not use GNU license for
> their driver, so after looking at the license, which is scary, I left this
> issue erased all code that is relevant to it, I really do not want to get in
> trouble with Intel simply for trying to improve their products.

You have discovered one of the reasons why I avoid looking at other
drivers for a chip before writing my own.

> I am no looking for another chip that as an open source driver with
> interrupt mitigation support.

I suggest the Tulip (21143 chip only), which is common and has readily
available documentation.  Or perhaps the Adaptec Starfire, with more
sophisticated control, but with more expensive hardware.

The new NatSemi DP83821 gigabit chip has an interrupt hold-off
register.  This chip is on the $100 D-Link 10/100/1000 board.  I
have a GPL driver that I'll be releasing in the next few weeks.  A
similar register might exist as an undocumented feature of the DP83815
chip that's on the FA311/FA312 from Netgear (about $15).

> If you can help me get Intel's permission to work on their driver, and also
> get some specs on the interrupt mitigation I will be glad to go back to
> improve this driver.

I can't even get my own copy of the '559 datasheet, let alone the magic
IP checksum and interrupt mitigation information.  You shouldn't expect
much help from Intel.