eepro100 device driver and PXE behavior

Richard Ferri aixhacker_98@yahoo.com
Wed Mar 29 11:14:00 2000

Hi all,
   I have an IBM 10/100 etherjet PCI management
adapter installed in my IBM netfinity 5500.  I'm
trying to boot the 5500 using the PXE (preboot
execution environment) network loader from the
intel/developer web site (this is different than the
pxe that comes with the RedHat distribution).
   My problem is that the adapter appears to have two
MAC addresses.  There is a MAC address broadcast by
the  BIOS during network boot (this matches the MAC
address printed on the adapter itself) and a different
MAC address that bootp/rarp sends out when the node is
trying to NFS mount its root file system from the
server.  What I suspect is that there is a problem
with  either my boot kernel or the device driver, and
that it's reading the wrong location to find the MAC
address.  I got around the problem by putting *both*
MAC addresses in my dhcp.conf file, pointing to the
same IP address.

   My kernel was built on a RH 6.1 base, it's
monolithic, and I have built in the eepro100 device
driver. The eepro100 device driver is the one
distributed with RH 6.1.

   Has anyone seen this kind of behavior, and is there
a fix?

thanks in advance,

Richard Ferri
Linux Technology Center