collisions with 1.09t

Andrey Savochkin saw@saw.sw.com.sg
Fri Mar 17 22:56:25 2000

Hello,

On Sat, Mar 18, 2000 at 01:15:06AM -0000, Stephen Williams wrote:
> I recently recompiled my kernel and after found that I was getting massive
> collisions on the NIC under heavy load (which are enough to disconnect the
> NIC if allowed to continue). I had not noticed these problems previously. I
> tried retrogrades and recompiles but to no effect.
[snip]
> So my question is, how might I detune the NIC so as to reduce the collision
> problem? In Intel’s Windows drivers it is possible to do so. Is there any
> way of doing this with eepro100?
>
> Also, how might I check to be sure that the NIC is not erroneously
> defaulting to full duplex?

As far as I can tell, by default the driver keep transmitter's parameters
(speed and duplex) uninitialized.  So it may appear that your card works in
full duplex mode with autonegotiation turned off.

You may check the current mode by mii-diag program (the link to this program
may be found on http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/eepro100.html).

To solve your problems try to specify explicitly the desired mode by passing
options to the driver.

Best regards
					Andrey V.
					Savochkin