Problems with Intel board in a high volume web site

richard@iguana.co.nz richard@iguana.co.nz
Mon Mar 6 23:27:03 2000

> We have just installed two new servers in our web site. One is a page server
> and the other is a database server. The database server is connected through
> a eepro 100 to the pageserver. The pageserver has two eepro 100's - one to
> the internet and the second to the database server.
>
> Everything worked well during testing. When we placed them in service,
> everything was fine until the server load picked up. We started experiencing
> packet losses of between 20 and 30% combined between the gateway and our
> server. There are no problems between the database server and the page
> server. We did some experimenting  - all the errors stopped if we moved the
> server to a different IP (with no traffic) - and started as soon as we moved
> it back again. Our ISP says its our network card. We think its their gateway
> can't handle the traffic... hmmm.
>
> Questions:
> 1) Is the driver in the debian build different from
> http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/eepro100.html
>
> Any comments on the driver available directly from Intel?
> http://support.intel.com/support/network/adapter/pro100/e100-1.0.0.htm
>
> 2) any ideas on what is causing this?

It is quite possibly your network cards. The Intel chipsets have been
playing up for a lot of people. You could try the driver in
ftp://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers/test/eepro100.c, or switch
NICs, whichever suits you best. There is also another, even more advanced
version of the driver fixed by another member of this list, but I do not
have the URL on me at the moment.

Richard.