[eepro100] Does eepro100 support Load Balancing Feature for Intel PRO/100 fa mily under LINUX OS?

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 11:34:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Kwek, Ser Wee wrote:

> Subject: [eepro100] Does eepro100 support Load Balancing Feature for Intel
    PRO/100 fa mily under LINUX OS?
> 	Does eepro100 support Load Balancing Feature for Intel PRO/100
> family under LINUX OS?

Load balancing, AKA channel bonding or channel aggregation, should not be a
function of the driver.  We commonly channel bond with various adapter
types, and I've even bonded 10Mbps and 100Mbps channels just to verify
that it would work.

The reason it is packaged with drivers, and tied to specific hardware, in
the Microsoft world is that it's a "value add".  The adapter vendor doesn't
want people using it with low-cost hardware, or with other vendor's
hardware.

410 Severn Ave. Suite 210		Beowulf Clusters / Linux Installations
Annapolis MD 21403