transmit error causes network to hang

Stauffer Walter stauffer@galenica.ch
Tue Feb 1 02:31:46 2000

Jason,

I had (and still have) exactly the same problems, with an IBM EtherJet
and also with on-board 82558B's. The problem appears with NT, Win95,
Win98, and even DOS, so Linux is hardly to blame ...

We have replaced the EtherJet's (with AMD). The on-board ones are
less fun:

I have 7 other machines with on-board 82558B NIC, identical Linux
installation (SuSE 6.2 out-of-the-box). Four of them work perfectly,
three suffer from the described problem. Trying different versions of
eepro100.c didn't change a thing, nor did playing with every BIOS
setting (power management, I/O timing). As mentioned, the problem
even persists across entirely different OS's ...

So I don't think it's purely a driver issue, but rather Intel selling
us different versions of the chip (or faulty ones).

Best regards,
Walter