[eepro100] eth0 through eth7

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 18:00:13 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Rich Payne wrote:

> I've come across a problem with the latest driver. I've download the
> eepro100 driver
> (with the pci-scan and kern-compat files) and built them into a 2.2.17
> kernel. On boot
> I get 8 ethernet devices (eth0-7). Now there's only one device in the
> machine (an 82559
> base PCI card in an Alpha UP1000).

The problem is a combination of
  Kernels after about 2.2.14 call the probe routine once for each of
     the 8 drivers/net/Space.c entries, instead of just once.
  There is no way to register exclusive use of a memory region, such as
    check_region() / register_region() in I/O space

The work-around is to compile eepro100.c with -DUSE_IO_OPS when compiled
into the kernel.
Using I/O operations also avoids the timing bug in the i82559 when doing a
RxAddrLoad command.