[eepro100] Re: 'Card Reports No Resources' errors, with a twist...

Andrey Savochkin saw@saw.sw.com.sg
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 11:51:47 +0800

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply...

On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 06:23:59PM +0000, Basil Hussain wrote:
> I've just recently rebuilt a machine (after problems with the IDE drive in
> it). Anyway, it's ended up with a different motherboard and hard drive and
> it now runs RedHat 6.2 (kernel 2.2.14-5.0) rather than 6.0.
>
> During the few days of setting it up, it was solid as a rock. This was
> during connection to a simple Intel 10Mbps hub. However, now it is in
> production use and connected to a 100Mbps D-Link hub, I am getting a strange
> situation.
>
> I have been getting batches of these errors in my system logs:
>
> Dec  4 17:51:41 spectrum kernel: eth0: card reports no resources.
>
> Usually, 8 of them at a time. They don't coincide with a system hang or
> period of peak traffic. What they do coincide with, however (and I spent
> ages racking my brain before I realised this!), is a remote port scan of the
> machine using the NMap utility. (I like to test my security...)

So, you have a perfectly normal situation of filling up all receive buffers.
If the system doesn't hang and works smoothly, it's ok.
The traffic burst consumes all of them, and one or more packets may be
dropped while the system recovers.  The driver warns you about it.

If you are concerned about possible packet drop, you need to change the
constant RX_RING_SIZE in the driver and recompile it.
If you don't want to bother about installing compiler and other development
tools on your system and recompile the driver, you may simply ignore there
messages.

> Why would the kernel be giving me errors on a simple networking action like
> that? Is this a bug in the driver? Should I upgrade? How do I find out which
> version of the driver I'm currently running?

Best regards
					Andrey V.
					Savochkin