Er, from what perspective? -- Re: eepro 100 falling asleep?

Bryan -TheBS- Smith thebs@theseus.com
Fri Apr 7 15:03:32 2000

On Fri, 07 Apr 2000, Patrick Wagstrom wrote:
> Do the eepro100 cards have a sleep feature on them?  I'm curious
> because I've observed odd behavior with our servers here is the
> situation.
>
> When our servers are getting relatively low amounts of traffic or none
> at all for a period of several minutes, they will be inordanately slow
> to respond to the first few pings, if it all.  After a few more seconds
> they come alive and work fine.

Did you ping the DNS name or the IP address?

I ask because I have experienced poor performance with Windows
systems with both its native SMB/NetBIOS client and 3rd party NFS
clients.  Why?  Because Windows 9x/NT do not do any DNS catching,
and Windows 9x seems to be piss-poor at NetBIOS name caching.

Just my experience.

-- TheBS

--
 Bryan "TheBS" Smith -- Engineer, IT Professional and Hacker
      E-mail:  mailto:thebs@theseus.com,b.j.smith@ieee.org