Some comments...

Polia, Michael Michael-Polia@sonoma-systems.com
Wed Sep 8 12:24:35 1999

Hi,

I've also have been following the various discussions concerning the
operation (or
inoperation?) of the eepro100 and until now I haven't had much to
contribute. But I
am very interested in the experiences of other in getting this device to
work in a
high performance environment.

I am using this device in an embedded system where the device is used as a
high speed
datalink for bridging application in some network equipment.

We have found that the Intel 82559 Ethernet device does not conform to
published specifications regarding certain transmit status bits.
Specifically, we have found that the device does not properly update the
completion bit in the Transmit Descriptor (TxCB) status word.

We have implemented our transmit algorithm described in section 9.2 of the
Intel 82558 Software Developer's Manual (Intel document 687805-003). We have
also conformed to the operation of the transmit command as described in
section 6.2.2.6.2 of the aforementioned manual. We are using a TxCB ring
with 16 entries. The ring is statically allocated. We are using flexible
transmit mode so the SF bit is set to '1' for all TxCB entries.

The TxCB ring entries are initialized such that the SF, C, and OK bits are
set to '1' and the command (CMD) bits are set to 100 (binary) for the
transmit command. The device Command Unit (CU) is placed into the suspend
state prior to the first frame being transmitted.

We use three TxCB ring pointers to track the active head and tail of the
ring. Outgoing frames are placed by the CPU on the ring tail which is
tracked by the pointer TxCB_ring_tail. The ring head pointer TxCB_ring_head
is used to track the completed frames, i.e. those frames transmitted by the
device and whose completion bit has been set by the device.

The TxCB ring pointers are initialized as follows:
	TxCB_ring_head = TxCB_entry[0]
	TxCB_ring_tail = TxCB_entry[0]
	previous_TxCB_ring_tail = TxCB_entry[15]

So, when we begin transmitting, we start using the TxCB ring at entry
TxCB_entry[0], incrementing the TxCB_ring_tail as we transmit each
successive frame. For each transmitted frame, the CPU sets (to '1') the S
bit of the TxCB command word, clears ('0') the completion bit of that entry,
and clears ('0') the S bit of the previous TxCB entry
(previous_TxCB_ring_tail). The CPU then issues a RESUME command to the
device CU. This is in conformance with the transmit algorithm described in
section 9.2 of the Intel 82558 Software Developer's Manual.

The following snapshot of the 82559 device Transmit Descriptor Ring (TxCB
Ring) illustrates the claim that the device, in certain cases, does not
properly update the completion bit in the TxCB status word. This snapshot
lists each TxCB ring entry along with the actual TxCB entry address, the
contents of the TxCB command/status word, and the address of the associated
transmit buffer.

TxCB entry [0]: 0x50eaf0, 0x1ca000, 0x53656a
TxCB entry [1]: 0x50eb0c, 0x1ca000, 0x53620a
TxCB entry [2]: 0x50eb28, 0x1ca000, 0x535e6a
TxCB entry [3]: 0x50eb44, 0x1ca000, 0x535aea
TxCB entry [4]: 0x50eb60, 0x1ca000, 0x53574a
TxCB entry [5]: 0x50eb7c, 0x1ca000, 0x5353ea
TxCB entry [6]: 0x50eb98, 0x1ca000, 0x53504a
TxCB entry [7]: 0x50ebb4, 0x1ca000, 0x534cca
TxCB entry [8]: 0x50ebd0, 0x1ca000, 0x53492a
TxCB entry [9]: 0x50ebec, 0x1ca000, 0x5345ca
TxCB entry [10]: 0x50ec08, 0x401ca000, 0x53422a	(previous_TxCB_ring_tail)
TxCB entry [11]: 0x50ec24, 0x1ca000, 0x0		(TxCB_ring_tail)
TxCB entry [12]: 0x50ec40, 0x1ca000, 0x0
TxCB entry [13]: 0x50ec5c, 0x1c0000, 0x536c8a	(TxCB_ring_head)
TxCB entry [14]: 0x50ec78, 0x1ca000, 0x53702a
TxCB entry [15]: 0x50ec94, 0x1ca000, 0x53690a

When we subject the device to a sustained stream of 64 byte frames, we
observe that, in some cases,  the device does not properly update the
completion bit of a TxCB entry for which it has clearly transmitted the
frame. We observe that the device exhibits this problem within 500 frames
(typically less than 100 frames). We can illustrate this for a certain case
where this error occurred. In this case, the device was offered 64 frames.
The frame size was 64 bytes (not including the CRC). The interframe delay
was 0.02 milliseconds. The line speed was 10Mb. The device actually
transmitted 27 of the 64 frames (confirmed by an Ethernet line monitor). The
last frame actually transmitted by the device was TxCB_entry[10]. The
transmit routine was implemented such that a maximum of 13 frames may be
outstanding on the TxCB ring. That is, the TxCB_ring_head must be less than
13 entries behind the TxCB_ring_tail as it follows the TxCB_ring_tail
pointer around the ring.

The CPU must "scavenge" the TxCB ring prior transmitting a frame in order to
recycle those TxCB entries that have been transmitted (and presumably have
the completion bit set by the device). The TxCB_ring_head indicates the TxCB
entry that is next to be scavenged. In this case, the device actually
transmitted 27 frames, so it had traversed the ring fully once and had
wrapped around (as expected). This means that the last frame actually
transmitted was TxCB_entry[10]. The CPU was attempting to reclaim (scavenge)
TxCB_entry[13] prior to attempting to transmit the 28th frame using
TxCB_entry[11]. The snapshot of the TxCB ring illustrates that the
completion bit (and OK bit) of TxCB_entry[11] was not set to '1' as expected
(bits 15 and 13 respectively). The TxCB status word for TxCB_entry[11] was
set to 0x1c0000 instead of 0x1ca000. Since the Ethernet line monitor
confirmed that the buffer data associated with TxCB_entry[11] was actually
transmitted, and that the data buffers for the subsequent TxCB entries were
also transmitted, it seems that the device failed to set the completion bit
for TxCB_entry[11], but then correctly set the completion and OK bits for
the subsequently transmitted TxCB entries.

Note that the device CU remained in the SUSPENDED state when this problem
occurred; it did not enter the IDLE state.

We have observed that we must increase the interframe delay to be greater
than about 5 milliseconds in order to reliably sustain a stream of 64 byte
frames using this device. We have also observed that if we increase the
frame size to be larger than 80 bytes, the device does not exhibit this
problem.