Update: Anyone had trouble with wake-on-lan intel 10/100 chipsets?

Bill mckinnon@isis2000.com
Tue Nov 30 17:02:51 1999

A while back, I wrote:

>       Hi all. I should start by saying that I appreciate all
> the hard work Donald Becker and anyone else who's helped
> him have done--it's great to have access to good drivers
> for up-to-date boards. That said,  I've got a box I'm trying
> to get running Linux that doesn't want to work. It's got some
> sort of Intel 10/100 chipset (i82558-based, says Windows)
> and I've tried a number of different drivers v1.09l and v1.09t
> specifically, and not been able to get eth0 up reliably at
> all--"Transmit timed out" errors come up when trying to
> do anything. The v1.09t version works for a few seconds but then
> doesn't work and just gives errors. I can and will provide lots
> of detail about my specific configuration, but first I thought
> I'd ask if this was a known problem or what people knew. This is
> an onboard chipset in an FIC Sahara 2000 computer with
> wake-on-lan features included (unfortunately). Any info
> appreciated...
>
> - Bill

   Well, this isn't looking like a driver issue. Turns out the ML613
AMI bios shipped with the Sahara 2000 that I got introduces some sort of
problem--flashing down to ML612 has gotten everything to work perfectly
with the stock driver that ships with Redhat 6.1 (not sure of the
version,
I don't see any sort of banner in /var/log/messages identifying the
driver,
though there are diagnostic messages). There is something funny going
on,
though, because right now if I unplug the power cord while in Linux and
then boot back up, suddenly all the same old problems come back: i.e.:

--
# ifconfig

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:40:CA:12:E8:F7

          inet addr:10.20.1.17  Bcast:10.20.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100

          Interrupt:11 Base address:0xda00

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback

          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0

          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924  Metric:1

          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

# ping 10.20.1.1

PING 10.20.1.1 (10.20.1.1) from 10.20.1.17 : 56(84) bytes of data.

>From localhost.localdomain (10.20.1.17): Destination Host Unreachable

>From localhost.localdomain (10.20.1.17): Destination Host Unreachable

>From localhost.localdomain (10.20.1.17): Destination Host Unreachable

^C

--- 10.20.1.1 ping statistics ---

4 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, +3 errors, 100% packet loss

# eth0: Transmit timed out: status 0000  0000 at 7/23 command 00030000.
eth0: Trying to restart the transmitter...
#

--
   This is fixed by a warm reboot, and it doesn't happen if the machine
shuts itself off, and even doesn't happen if you just shut off the power

- Bill